Saturday, July 12, 2008

Superweek Day #1

Today’s race was in Blue Island, IL a suburb on the South side of the city. The course was pretty straight-forward 40 miles and not very technical. The field was typical for Superweek (100+) in size and aggressiveness.

I hung out mid-pack for the first 15 miles or so. There were constant attacks from some of the local Chicago/Indiana/Wisconsin teams. Several of which were stacked with 6-10 riders so it wasn’t all that hard for them to control the day. Unfortunately I wasn’t in the break that went at about the 25th mile. There were 9 away and they all had large representation in the main field. I did a lot of work at the front between mile 20-30 but NOBODY wanted to work. We managed to pull back in 4 of the 9 but fell short in the end. I hate racing for 6th!!! The finish was crazy fast and I came pretty close to ramming a narrowing barricade in the final 20 meters so I had to sit up and slide in-costing me way too many spots…

Overall it was a pretty disappointing day in terms of results (29th).
FYI-The winner today was also last years Cat 4 US. National Criterium Champion. All the players are in town…

1 comment:

Shaun said...

Yeah dude! Go get'em!!!