Monday, July 14, 2008

Superweek Day #3 "I want to go home..."

So I started the day with breakfast, stretching & the Tour on VS. Amazingly enough I’m not sore… (Foreshadowing)

My mom (designated driver) and I headed out to the course after an early lunch-and that’s when the wheels fell off the train (literally). About 5 minutes into my warm-up I broke a spoke on my front wheel. Yeah-not good. I limped over to the SRAM “neutral” wheel pit where they reluctantly hooked me up with a temp wheel (Zipp 404).

Without much of a warmup (5 min or so) I managed to force myself to stay in the top 10-20 for most of the day. My hope was that some of the field would be tired after 2 hard days of racing but that didn’t work out so well. Buy the 23rd minute I was seriously thinking “I want to go home.” I was miserable! Attacks + pain & suffering, repeat… This is ridiculously fast and it needs to end! By the 34th minute the attacks slowed but the pace didn’t. At least I was able to find my groove and move back up. In the end I rallied to stay with the lead group but only managed 22nd on the day. Not good enough! That places me 22nd overall in the point series. On top of that I’m sore as hell tonight (aforementioned foreshadowing).

Each of these races has been like the Memorial Park 1/2/3 race. All the players are killing it up here-the same guys from last year and then some…

I would like to thank Kyle “magic hands” Davenport, Brett “Super-Duper Master Cat 2” and Angela (A hottie & pretty great person I know) for scrambling around today to ship me a set of wheels. Sugar Cycles-the sweetest shop in town!

Additionally, Travis Troxtell & Robert Biard from TX Tough/Hotel San Jose are loaning me a wheel for the interim. Lifesavers!!! Both are doing GREAT in the series as well. Travis threw down a HUGE attack today (the little bastard) and Robert helped to control the field and bring in attacks-he did a lot of work. Meanwhile I was sucking up in the rear…LOL

I know my legs will come, i just hope it's sooner rather than later.

No comments: