Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Superweek Day #11 "Back in business"

We departed Chicago early to get Angela to her race at 1130am (race report to follow). The course was rectangular with 3 sides of climbing and 1 sharp descent into the last rurn w/an uphill finish. This was by far the toughest course of the series… Suffer-feast!

Attacks, after attacks, after attacks, caused about 20 riders to get dropped in the first 4-10 laps (of 45 lap race). After that we shed about 1-2 racers per lap-CRAZY. Thankfully, my legs felt great going into the day. Although I just wanted to lie down in the grass and take a nap; my legs responded to everything I asked of them-a first since I’ve been at Superweek.


With 10 to go I moved toward the front and managed to hold a good position into the last lap. Coming out of the last turn I was sitting about 10 back (where I wanted for an uphill sprint) and making ground quick when my rear derailleur pulley threw my chain. I was able to hold the sprint but unable to gear up any further. I ended up 8th in the field sprint.

It was a tough race but a great mental and physical test. Tomorrow’s race is pretty hilly as well, so we’ll see…

Angela's $.02
Tuesday July 22, 2008- Cedarburg
25 mile crit
This course was KILLER, a rectangle with hills on 3 sides. The first few laps were fast, and then 4 women attacked and went off the front. The group immediately tried to chase and I was in the first chase group. We chased for a few more laps, and then we just settled in. About 2/3 into the race, the sprinkles and rain started and the temperature dropped to 65. On the turn 4 of the final lap, I let myself get gapped due to the wet pavement and finished the day 12th out of 35.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Told you ; )