Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Superweek Day#4 Lame, lame, lame!!!

I’ve been waiting for my legs to come back to me… This has not been Jason Danvir racing. Day #1 I felt really strong but I’ve been struggling to find my rhythm ever since. So I mentally prepared myself to move to the front early and STAY there. I did.

The course was probably the nicest we’ve seen so far (repeat tomorrow) with good roads and no major death traps along the course. We started at 2:35pm and it was hot-not Houston hot, but hot & windy (previously mentioned WINDY City) for the 35 miles we covered. In the end I felt better about my legs today but am frustrated with the fields & local teams here. Area teams show up in packs of 3-10 and DO NOTHING. There will be a break up the road 20-30 seconds and teams with NOBODY in the break just sit in and sandbag! Worthless! Racing for 5th and 6th isn’t racing-you should just go play golf.

So if you haven’t figured where this is going-a break (one of many attacks today) went 25 miles in and stuck. In the end I felt like I had something to offer (so did the other 55 guy’s in the field) so I moved up to a pretty good spot until the joker 2 rows up decided he forgot what the last turn looked like (even though this was our 35th lap) and laid it down-taking 3 others with him.

No injuries here but I nearly came to a complete stop about 400 meters shy of the finish. Oh well, 4 days down 12 to go… That just sounds wrong…

Side note-Travis & Robert from TX Tough looked good today. Robert went down in the aforementioned wreck but he’s ready to go for tomorrow. Travis ended up 12th I believe. Nice!

A local blog to check out: http://thefattym.blogspot.com/ Matt's a pretty cool guy I met last year and he's looking strong again this year.
Local website: http://www.chicagobikeracing.com/ An interesting read with daily recap & locals feedback and comments.

No comments: