Thursday, July 17, 2008

Superweek Day #6 "Sooooo tired..."

WOW. What a difference a day can make. Yesterday I felt strong & full of energy, today, not so much. We started with about 60 in the field. 10 miles into it and we had shed about 20. I got gapped behind a wreck in turn 1 (right before the climb) about 20 minutes in but managed to catch back on.

Today was the first day in Wisconsin so there were a lot of fresh legs in the pack & it was obvious. Guy’s were getting popped & just sitting up all over the place. So much in fact you’d be in a line and next thing you knew the guy in front was 10 bike lengths off the back. That’s pretty much what happened. I chased for 3 laps on a very hilly 1 mile course… Friends of mine (already dropped) said my chase was “valiant.” LOL I’m tired…

When I dropped there were 28 in the field. The field finished with 20. 1/3rd of the starters made it to the line…

I’m hoping Shaun Taylor can give me some sort of magical nutritional concoction that will help. Otherwise I’m thinking about taking a rest day tomorrow. I’d like to say I did all 16 stages but I’d also like to put up some strong results… We’ll see. It's going to be a LONG week...

Travis Troxtell finished 5th in the field sprint & Robert Biard did some quality work in the last lap to help keep it strung out. Unfortunately he went down but he'll be ready for tomorrow.

Tonight I stay with Megan & Mike from Milwaukee. They hosted me last year and were kind enough to invite me back again this year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JD, keep the faith, brother! Glad to see that the racing was better Thursday than Wednesday. Meanwhile, here in cool, rainy Leeds, UK, I am not biking...the bourbon is good and the food better. Take care and see you back in H-town!

Chuck

Ricardo said...

I knew there would be a crash in turn one. I don't like that corner. It's kinda tight and then you have to accelerate up the long rise.