Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Superweek Day #12 "More hills!!!"

Regarding yesterday; we figured that course was the equivalent of a 120 hill repeat workout. Just FYI…

Today’s course was very similar to New Braunfels circuit race. In fact today’s course was called a road race but it was much more like that of a circuit-rolling hills, some false flats, and a steep winding climb to the finish line. The distance today was 40 miles and we covered it in 17 laps (1:25).

I felt really good considering yesterday’s brutal course. Even in warm-up I wasn’t stiff or sore but I was a little fatigued.

I felt comfortable in the field & with my legs right from the start. There were some attacks early on but nothing to be concerned about. With 7 laps (14 miles) to go an attack group of 7 went off the front-from the back side of the course (through the rollers & false flat). This was not good considering the level of fatigue in the field and the timing… As we hit the 180 turn and the winding turn up to the finish I was feeling strong and climbing well (around 10th) when somebody attacked up the left-I went with. We made a clean break very quick & managed to bridge (huge gap) by the time we hit the false flats. It was a SOLID break with 8 away (my helper cratered) and the field out of sight. We’ll stick this (I was spent but recovered quickly and jumped into the rotation)!

The field let us go for 2 laps but quickly shut us down. I managed to jump back in, recover and wait for the finish.

I felt good about my legs and managed a good move up the last climb but got pinched and was forced to give way (not crash) only to accelerate again and hold on for 13th.

Nothing spectacular to show for as far as results go but my legs are coming back to me & I’m excited about that. I’m feeling stronger (and sorer) every day; which is hard to believe considering the number of races I’ve done in the last week.

4 days (races) to go...

Angel's $.02
Wednesday July 23, 2008- Whitnall Park
30 mile Road Race
I started the day off with a mechanical issue right before start and did not make it to the line on time. Ugggh. After Jason tinkered with by bike a bit, I took it over to the SRAM mechanics (neutral support) for them to take a look at it. My derailleur hanger was bent and my shifter cable was frayed. So all was repaired and replaced and the officials let me jump into the race as long as I did not go for the sprint at the finish. I started 4 laps down and had a good training ride. The pack stayed together today and I might have done well, but we will never know. The finish was uphill, so not to my liking and it may have been best that I did not “race.”

1 comment:

Liam O'Connell said...

dude you are going to eat everyine alive when you get back